Monday, January 28, 2013

Recipes

I'm now 37 weeks pregnant and just starting maternity leave. I'll hopefully have a little more time to blog now, at least until the baby comes. I've been doing fine with this diabetic diet so far, but I'm certainly missing breads and sweets. I found this great website called Your Lighter Side, which has a ton of low-carb recipes. Some of them are quite ingenious, like these Oopsie Rolls. They have less than a gram of carbs per roll and they actually taste good! They're perfect for burgers and sandwiches and just about anything else where you would use bread or buns.




You can experiment with different spices or make them sweet with a little sweetener and cinnamon.
I tried one with butter, cinnamon, and xylitol on top, microwaved it so it was soft and warm, then rolled it up and cut it like cinnamon buns.



Practically 0-carb mini cinnamon rolls? Yes please!

As far as sweeteners go, I try to limit my consumption of them especially while pregnant, but when I do use them I prefer xylitol because it doesn't have an aftertaste, or not one that I notice anyway. It's an all-natural sweetener that doesn't affect blood-sugar. I like to sprinkle it on my oatmeal or put a little in my tea. I also tried it in these chocolate chunk peanut-butter swirl cookies, also from Your Lighter Side. It calls for 1/2 cup of splenda, but I used 1/4 cup xylitol and 1/4 cup brown sugar. I also used regular chocolate chips. They were amazing!


They're like brownies in cookie-form. They have coconut flour in them, which is very high in fibre, a good source of protein, and low in digestible carbohydrates. It's perfect for diabetics and those on gluten-free diets. I've also used it in Zucchini Bread, yet another recipe from Your Lighter Side. I didn't like that one quite as much because I found it a bit soggy. Maybe I just didn't bake it long enough, I'm not sure. I'll definitely be baking more with coconut flour though. I wonder if it would be good in pancakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment